City of Montgomery 

Kolacky Capital of the World

Frequently Asked Questions

The following are the typical questions the City receives on a regular basis.  If your question is not on here, please do not hesitate to call City Hall at 507.364.8888 and we will be able to help you!


 What hours is City Hall open?

City Hall is open from 8:00 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.


 What holidays are city offices closed?

New Year's Day, Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, Presidents' Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Veterans Day, Thanksgiving Day, Friday after Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day


 Who are the service providers in Montgomery?

Cable TV / High Speed Internet: MediaCom - 800.332.0245

Telephone / High Speed Internet: Frontier Communications - 800.921-8101


  • MN Valley Electric Cooperative (MVEC) - 800.282.6832


  • CenterPoint Energy - 800.245.2377
  • Greater MN Gas Co. - 888.931.3411 (for North Ridge, Stone Ridge & Country Ridge Developments)

Garbage/Recycling:  Waste Management - 800.422.5785

Sewer & Water:  City of Montgomery - 507.364.8888

 Can I take any local community education classes?

Residents of Montgomery have a variety of interesting, educational, and recreational opportunities offered through Tri-City United Community Education.  Please call the TCU Community Education at 507.364.8110 if you have any questions, comments or concerns.     

 What type of payment options do I have for paying my utility bill?

The City of Montgomery has a listing of the different payment options here.

 Can I dig on my own property?

Any time that digging is done on any property within the state, Minnesota Law requires that Gopher State One Call be contacted 48 hours before you plan to dig to identify if there are any utilities buried on the property.

• This service is free to the property owner.
• It is the responsibility of the property owner to conduct excavation in a careful and prudent manner. Never assume the depth of a utility or that the depth of the utilities is consistent.
• Gophe State One does not locate underground sprinklers, power lines to garage or other accessory building, propane gas lines or invisible fencing. 

 City of Montgomery Storm Water, Sewer & Water Rates


Base Fees

Water:  $30.00

Sewer: $13.00

Storm:  $3.00 

Water Usage Fee:   $7.00 per 1,000 gallons

Sewer Usage Fee:   $8.25 per 1,000 gallons


Base Fees
Water:     $40.00

Sewer:    $ 13.00

Storm: varied 

 Do I need to get a dog license?

All dogs over the age of four months shall be registered with the City. Dog licenses are available at the Montgomery Police Department for a fee of $5.00. Dog Licenses must be renewed each year in January. Dog owners must show proof of vaccination prior to receiving a dog license.

 Does the City have a compost site?

The Compost Site is open to only the residents of Montgomery.  The Compost Site will accept branches, leaves, lawn and garden trimmings.  No commercial services accepted.  Please REMOVE all plastic bags.  In order to maintain a proper compost site, please DO NOT leave other types of refuse.  VIOLATERS WILL BE PROSECUTED!

Hours: Mon. 5 p.m. - 7 p.m. & Sat. 10 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Conveniently located at 928 4th St. NW which is just north of town on TH 13 past the Tri-City United High School.

 Does the city require permits for a peddler and/or soliciting license?

Yes, the City requires a permit for a person to conduct business as a peddler, solicitor, or transient merchant within the city limits.  The City also requires a permit from the County if required.  An application for a license shall be made at least 14 regular business days before the applicant desires to begin conducting business.  For further information, please refer to Chapter 6. Other Business Regulations and Licensing - Section 625 – Peddlers and Solicitors.

 Does the community offer senior dining or meals on wheels?

Meal service is available to anyone age 60 and over. Hot, well balanced mid-day meals are available Monday through Friday. Home delivered meals are also available.  Diners may confidentially contribute toward the cost of the meal. No one is denied a meal because they are unable to contribute.  For further information call507.364.7996.     

 How can I reserve a park shelter?

The City of Montgomery requires a shelter contract when an individual or a party is interested in reserving on the city's park shelters.  Please complete and submit this form.

 How do I locate my property lines?

Most newly developed lots should have a surveying pin at the corners of the lot. These ½ inch round pipes are typically buried in the ground and you may need a metal detector to locate. These pipes shall not be moved or removed. It is the property owner's responsibility to determine where the property lines are located when applying for building and zoning permits.

 How to reach your Legislators?

Le Sueur County - District 2 Commissioner
Joe Connolly

36966 261st Ave.
Le Sueur, MN  56058

Minnesota House – District 20B
David Bly

559 State Office Building
100 Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.
Saint Paul, Minnesota 55155
651.296.0171 or 800.920.5882  

Minnesota Senate – District 20
Kevin Dahle

75 Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King. Jr. Blvd.
Capitol, Room 317
St. Paul, MN 55155-1606

US House - District 1
Tim Walz
227 E. Main Street, #220

Mankato, MN 56001

U.S. Senate
Amy Klobuchar
1200 Washington Avenue South – Room 250
Minneapolis, MN 55415

U.S. Senate
Al Franken

60 East Plato Blvd. – Suite 220
Saint Paul, MN 55107

 What are the winter parking regulations?

During the event of an accumulation of two inches or more of snow, an emergency shall be deemed to exist.  During an emergency it is unlawful to park or leave standing any vehicle on any public street, excluding the Central Business District, between the hours of 11:00 o’clock p.m. and until it has been fully cleared, curb-to-curb. For the purposes of this Subdivision, the Central Business District is defined as First Street and one block either side of it between Oak and Boulevard Avenues. During an emergency it is unlawful to park or leave standing any vehicle on any public street in the Central Business District between the hours of 2:00 a.m. and until it has been fully cleared, curb-to-curb.

 What is a right of way?

A right of way is the publicly owned area in a development or neighborhood.  A right of way is a strip of land intended to be occupied or presently occupied by a road, pedestrian walkway, railroad, electric transmission lines, oil or gas pipeline, telephone cable, cable TV, water and sewer lines, and other similar uses.  Usually, a right of way extends past the curb so one's property line is not the curb but a distance from the curb.  The size of the right of way is not the same for every property. The right of way area behind the curb is also used for snow storage when the city plows streets.

 What is an easement?

An easement is a grant by an owner of land for a specific use by persons or agencies other than the owner.  A limited ownership interest in land enabling the construction and maintenance of public services and utilities thereon including, but not limited to, sanitary sewers, water mains, electrical lines, telephone lines, storm sewer or storm drainage facilities, gas lines, and conservation and pedestrian trails.

Typically, easements are either included as part of the original plat of the property or have been established through negotiation with a property owner. The easement stays in effect until the easement is no longer needed and is legally vacated. If the property is bought and sold, the easement remains in effect. The most common form of easement in a residential area is a drainage and utility easement. This easement is normally 5 to 10 feet wide and runs on all sides of a property.

 When does Waste Management pick up garbage?

Residents living SOUTH of Boulevard Avenue will have their garbage/recycling picked up on Wednesday; residents living NORTH of Boulevard Avenue will have Fridays as their garbage/recycling day. If your garbage pick up day lands on a holiday your garbage would be picked up one day later than normal.

Waste Management's Observed Holidays:

New Year's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas Day
Garbage and recycling should be placed out the night before pick up!

Carts may be ordered from Waste Management at 888.964.9716. Bags may be purchased at City Hall or Fred's Market Place Foods.

 When is there a City wide clean-up program?

The City, in partnership with the contracted refuse company, conducts an annual spring clean-up. It is generally held at the beginning of May.  Further information is provided in the local newspaper, the city's web site, and other media outlets as it approaches every year.

 Where do I make a complaint regarding a residential rental property?

If the complaint is regarding safety items in the rental unit, the first step is to contact the landlord and allow for adequate time for any repairs or corrections to be made. If after a reasonable amount of time the landlord has not responded, please contact City Hall or the Building Inspector. The City cannot assist with issues regarding the rental lease or non-safety items. If there is any doubt of whether it is a safety issue, please contact us!

 Where do I vote?

City of Montgomery residents should vote at the Montgomery Municipal Building (201 Ash Ave. SW).  New residents should complete a Minnesota Voter Registration Application, which are available at Montgomery City Hall or Le Sueur County.

 Where is the closest car licensing office (ie Driver's Licenses, Tabs, Transfers, Etc)?

State Bank of New Prague (applications only)
1101 1st Street SE
New Prague, MN 56071

Le Sueur County Courthouse  (applications & road test site)
Le Sueur County Courthouse
88 South Park Avenue
Le Center, MN  56057

 Where is the local Post Office?

The Post Office is located one block east of 1st St S on Elm Ave. SE.

Montgomery Post Office
156 Elm Ave. SE
Montgomery, MN 56069

 Who is responsible for removal of snow and ice from a public sidewalk?

During the winter it is up to each property owner to clear public sidewalks of snow and ice. City ordinance states all snow or ice remaining upon public sidewalks is hereby declared to constitute a public nuisance and shall be abated by the owner or tenant of the abutting private property within twenty-four (24) hours after such snow or ice has ceased to be deposited.  This is necessary to ensure the safety of people using the sidewalks during the winter. Property owners found to be in violation may have their sidewalks cleared by the City and will be assessed the cost of removal.

 Why is my yard marked up with different colors of paint or flags?

Flags and paint markings are utilized to identify the location of underground utilities. State law requires that utilities are located through the Gopher State One Call system prior to excavation activities to help avoid damage and accidents caused by striking the buried lines. These activities could include repair of sewer and water services, damaged cable, or phone lines, or even installation of new utility lines. These markings will also appear if a property owner in the area is making an improvement to their property. Two days before doing any digging in your yard it is required by State law to contact: Gopher State One Call - 800.252.1166.
City of Montgomery | 201 Ash Ave. SW | Montgomery, MN 56069 | Phone: 507.364.8888 | Fax: 507.364.5371 | Hours: 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Mon.-Fri.