How do I get a library card?
- Your first library card is free.
- To obtain a card, you need to bring something with you that has your name and current address on it such as a driver’s license or a printed bill.
- Children under the age of 16 need a parental signature to get a card.
- Your card will be made up on the spot so you can use it right away.
- Library card holders sign an application in which they agree to be responsible for all late fines and all fees assessed for lost and damaged library materials.
- Card use is blocked when a borrower has accumulated more than $20 in fines.
- If you need to replace a lost card, the fee is $1.00.
How long can I keep my materials?
- Books, audiobooks and magazines: 3 weeks followed by a 13-day grace period with $2.00 fine per item once the grace period has expired.
- Movies on DVD or VHS and music on CD: 1 week with a .50 fine per item per day with a $2.00 per item maximum.
What materials can I renew?
All library materials borrowed from Montgomery Public Library and other Traverse des Sioux libraries are renewable as long as no one else has placed a hold on them
Are any materials not renewable?
Yes. Materials with holds on them are not renewable. Also, materials borrowed from outside the nine-county Traverse des Sioux System are not renewable.
How do I renew materials?
(1) Telephone the library at 507.364.7615.
(2) Renew them online. To do this, go to tdslib.iii.com
- Type your library barcode number from the back of your card (it begins with 20612) and your password (the first eight letter of your last name, or your entire last name, if less than eight letters) into the top left corner of the page.
- Click on Log on to My Account.
- Click on Renew My Materials.
- Click to check the boxes next to the items you want to renew.
- Click Renew Selected Items.
- Note: Watch the screen after you have chosen which materials to renew because you will be told whether or not your renewals were allowed.
Can I return materials after hours?
Yes, there is a book return on the front of the Montgomery Library, to your left as you approach the front door. The drop is always open. All materials may be returned in the drop. Any items returned in the book drop will be backdated the next morning, and are checked in as if they were returned the previous day.
Can I borrow materials not found in the Montgomery Library?
Yes. Your Traverse des Sioux Library System is part of a web of libraries that covers the entire state and beyond. If you can’t find what you’re looking for (either a particular title or a specific subject), please let the library staff know. Our borrowing capabilities are extensive and we find most everything our users request.
Can I use my card outside of the Montgomery Library?
You can use your library card in any Minnesota public library. Your barcode is compatible with all the public libraries in the immediate nine-county area: Le Sueur, Waseca, Sibley, Nicollet, Blue Earth, Brown, Watonwan, Martin and Faribault. If you want to use your card in other Minnesota counties, those libraries will add one of their barcodes to your Montgomery card so be sure to have that card with you.
Can I return Montgomery Library materials to other libraries?
Yes. In Minnesota you can return any library’s books to any other library and our inter-library delivery service will get them back for you. Please be aware that in some libraries, you may incur a late fee for the travel time that returns over long distance take. Also, some libraries prefer that you return their movies directly to them so, if you’re planning on returning materials to another library, please ask about this when you check them out.
What if I lose or damage something?
Lost Materials: The borrower is charged the price of replacing a lost item. The $2.00 overdue fee is waived. The borrower may have the option of replacing the item with a duplicate item after talking with the librarian.
Damaged Materials: The borrower is charged the price of replacing an item that is damaged beyond normal wear and tear.